Public Safety Security Guard
Responsible for performing routine responsibilities, including but not limited to, personal and community safety and document preparation. Employees in this role must pass a background investigation and have the flexibility to perform shift work. Security Guards do not have the authority to enforce federal, state, or local regulations and do not have the authority to arrest suspects.
Typical functions are listed within the level descriptors below and are examples of work performed by positions in the level and are not intended to be all-inclusive. Some duties may overlap levels; however, the preponderance of the work will be assessed when assigning positions to the specific levels.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (KSAs)
Listed below are the minimum requirements for this role. KSAs will become more advanced as the level increases and will vary depending on the requirements of the position.
- Communication and active listening skills.
- Customer service skills.
- Ability to use a multi-channel radio system.
- Ability to maintain composure during stressful situations.
- Ability to work with a wide variety of people.
- Work is performed by following established policies and procedures.
- Responds to various campus alarms and calls for assistance by the campus community.
- Provides security escort service to students and employees.
- Provides loss prevention services.
- Completes reports.
- Unlocks and locks buildings and vehicles.
- Monitors access to buildings.
- Provides customer service to faculty, staff, students, and visitors.
- Provides battery jump-starts for disabled vehicles.
- Observes and reports suspicious behavior and safety hazards to appropriate personnel.
Typically requires high school diploma or the equivalent.
Market Range: MR02
Effective Date: January 4, 2021