Responsible for performing front-line customer service in a retail setting. This role performs entry-level functions involving the sale of goods and services. Customer service ranges from general customer assistance to using detailed product knowledge and merchandising displays to assisting customers with purchases. Competencies for this role are generally gained through on the job training.
Typical functions are listed within the level descriptors below and are examples of work performed by positions in the level and are not intended to be all-inclusive. Some duties may overlap levels; however, the preponderance of the work will be assessed when assigning positions to the specific levels.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (KSAs)
Listed below are the minimum requirements for this role. KSAs will become more advanced as the level increases and will vary depending on the requirements of the position.
- Customer service skills.
- Math skills.
- Ability to handle cash and operate a point of sale system.
- Ability to communicate verbally and follow directions.
Retail Associate 1
- Operates cash registers to receive payments in the form of credit/debit card, check, or cash.
- Arranges displays, and conducts physical inventories of the stock room and sales area.
- Replenishes stock, and organizes and folds clothing.
- Assists with setting up routine displays.
- Assists with inventory.
- Answers customer inquiries.
- Fulfills order requests.
- Processes exchanges and returns.
- Prevents inventory shrinkage by identifying and reporting suspicious activity.
- Assists with opening and closing registers.
- Works under direct supervision and tasks are specific with clearly stated instructions.
- Refers non-routine questions and problems to higher levels of authority.
Typically requires a high school diploma or equivalent.
Market Range: MR01
Retail Associate 2
- In addition to the work of level 1, responsible for opening/closing point-of-sale systems.
- Counts and reconciles tills and daily sales.
- Processes special orders and interfaces with buyers on special requests.
- Performs overrides including voids, and resolves escalated customer service issues.
- Serves as person-in-charge.
- Provides work direction to students or other associates as directed by a supervisor.
Typically requires a high school diploma and one year of relevant experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Market Range: MR02
Effective Date: January 4, 2021