Agricultural and Natural Resources Associate
Responsible for implementing stewardship for natural resources, initiatives for farm operations, and support for agricultural and natural resource programs. Competencies for this role are usually gained through specialized or on-the-job training.
Typical functions are listed within the level descriptors below and are examples of work performed by positions in the level and are not intended to be all-inclusive. Some duties may overlap levels; however, the preponderance of the work will be assessed when assigning positions to the specific levels.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (Ksas)
Listed below are the minimum requirements for this role. KSAs will become more advanced as the level increases and will vary depending on the requirements of the position.
- Knowledge of agricultural/farm operations.
- Ability to communicate clearly, both verbal and written.
- Ability to work with livestock, facilities, and crops associated with agricultural work.
- Ability to understand research techniques and directions.
- Ability to work outdoors and in various weather conditions.
- Ability to operate various types of agricultural equipment.
Agricultural And Natural Resources Associate 1
- Performs routine, well-defined duties in support of farm operations such as:
- Plants and harvests crops using farm equipment and machinery.
- Assists with irrigation, pesticide application, and other treatments.
- Provides livestock care.
- Performs milking operations.
- Monitors crops or livestock for changes in wellbeing and reports abnormalities to the supervisor.
- Maintains facilities and grounds and assists with building maintenance and routine equipment maintenance.
- Operates farm and heavy equipment and machinery.
- Assists with research, educational, and outreach activities.
- Trains seasonal/student laborers.
Typically requires a high school diploma or equivalent.
Market Range: MR03
Agricultural And Natural Resources Associate 2
- Supervises agricultural personnel performing routine duties and performs closely related duties.
- Work is guided by policies and procedures, but evaluates and determines methods to use to best accomplish work.
- Trains, schedules, assigns, and reviews work.
- Oversees the cultivation, planting, treating, and harvesting of crops.
- Coordinates the care and feeding of animals.
- Maintains and purchases supplies, assists with equipment purchases, and coordinates equipment/machinery repair.
- Monitors crops/animals and instructs personnel on actions related to health and well-being of crops and animals, takes action on well-being issues, and reports concerns to supervisor.
- Maintains safety and sanitary conditions of farm operations.
- Maintains records.
- Assists with and coordinates staff effort with research, educational, and outreach activities.
Typically requires a high school diploma and two years of relevant experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Market Range: MR04
Agricultural And Natural Resources Associate 3
- Manages and oversees an agricultural operations unit/farm.
- Supervises unit personnel.
- Plans and develops objectives and deadlines for farm operations.
- Recommends and implements operating policies and procedures for a unit.
- Develops and implements a preventative maintenance program and other construction and maintenance plans.
- Allocates equipment and personnel resources to meet operational and research needs.
- Assists researchers with the feasibility of projects based on agricultural operations expertise.
- Collaborates with researchers and oversees the implementation of research protocols and the appropriate use of resources.
- Ensures compliance with research protocols and workplace regulations.
- Prepares reports, such as production reports or research project updates.
- Solves varied problems requiring analysis and interpretation of the situation using knowledge and skills gained from formerly established precedents.
Typically requires a high school diploma and four years of relevant, progressively responsible experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Market Range: MR05
Effective Date: January 4, 2021