Legal Licensing Associate
Responsible for coordinating and providing specialized support in the management of the patent and licensing process.
Typical functions are listed within the level descriptors below and are examples of work performed by positions in the level and are not intended to be all-inclusive. Some duties may overlap levels; however, the preponderance of the work will be assessed when assigning positions to the specific levels.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (KSAs)
Listed below are the minimum requirements for this role. KSAs will become more advanced as the level increases and will vary depending on the requirements of the position.
- Knowledge of applicable regulations and guidelines related to patent and trademark issues.
- Grammar and proofreading skills, with emphasis on accuracy and application of business writing techniques, to compose business documents/forms that have professional presentation.
- Organizational skills.
- Ability to multitask.
- Ability to work independently, exercise good judgment, and maintain discretion while handling information/records containing confidential and sensitive data.
Legal Licensing Associate 1
- Conducts initial and ongoing communications with inventors of new technologies governing intellectual property rights.
- Serves as liaison between the licensing staff, attorneys, and inventors to ensure timely responses for patent-related matters.
- Monitors cases for impending statutory bars and deadlines.
- Evaluates new inventions to determine the need for notifying and communicating with federal sponsors for federally sponsored inventions.
- Responsible for communicating with the funding agencies and/or industrial sponsors of the receipt of new intellectual property.
- Prepares draft agreements.
- Generates and provides reports related to inventor activity to a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
Typically requires a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field and three years of relevant experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Market Range: MR12
Legal Licensing Associate 2
- Serves as ongoing liaison with inventors, attorneys, companies, and institutions to provide expert and independent consultation.
- Identifies and evaluates the potential of inventions and technologies to develop a commercialization strategy.
- Monitors research programs to anticipate potential intellectual property that may be generated and encourages timely disclosure of inventions and discoveries.
- Negotiates the technology licensing arrangement.
- Performs comprehensive evaluations of inventions and develops marketing strategies, conducts market research, and prepares marketing material.
Typically requires an advanced degree in a relevant field and three years of relevant experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Market Range: MR14
Effective Date: January 4, 2021