Student Services Associate
Responsible for specialized support functions for a student services unit. Typically, serves as a first point of contact for students and their families, and is generally not involved in programming. Primary responsibility is processing and delivering information. Competencies for this role are usually gained through specialized or on-the-job training.
Typical functions listed below are examples of work performed by positions in this role and are not intended to be all-inclusive. Some duties may overlap levels; however, the preponderance of the work will be assessed when assigning positions to specific levels.
- Performs specialized student services functions.
- Processes and ensures accuracy of documents.
- Prepares, scans, indexes, and maintains files and records.
- Enters data into databases and student information system.
- Tracks the status of documents and applications and may provide updates to students and applicants.
- Schedules classrooms and other student-related spaces for classes and events.
- Coordinates, schedules, and conducts informational tours for prospective students and their families.
- Generates letters and reports.
- Provides initial document review.
- Determines proper coding and conversion of information into the University of Tennessee systems.
- Audits and reconciles documents and records.
- Provides recommendations to management on internal procedures.
- Offers guidance and presents information to students and their families.
- Provides work direction to others.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (KSAs)
Listed below are the minimum requirements for this role. KSAs will become more advanced as the level increases and will vary depending on the requirements of the position.
- Knowledge of related policies and procedures.
- Analytical, decision making, and problems solving skills.
- Customer service skills.
- Computer skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Ability to gather data, compile information, and prepare reports.
- Ability to use tact and discretion when dealing with a variety of issues.
Student Services Associate 1
- Entry-level role that performs routine, standardized, well-defined tasks following standard policies and guidelines.
- Provides resolution to problems that have clearly defined solutions.
- Work is closely supervised and reviewed for accuracy.
High school diploma and one year of relevant experience, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Market Range: MR03
Student Services Associate 2
- Work is performed within established guidelines.
- Prepares work for further review, monitors the status of reviews, and ensures progression of processes.
- Provides problem identification, research, and resolution for issues that may cross-functional areas.
- Determines how to carry out work in varying circumstances by interpreting individual situations and determines which guidelines are most effective out of those available.
- Applies a broader knowledge and understanding of how independent areas are interrelated.
- Explains policies, procedures, regulations, and rules.
- Verifies and evaluates documents, assigns statuses based on review, and determines eligibility and admissibility.
High school diploma and two years of relevant experience, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Market Range: MR04
Student Services Associate 3
- Applies broader aspects of established practices and procedures to situations not falling clearly within the limitations of accepted practices.
- Acts as an expert resource for a broad range of areas.
- Guides students to solve routine and complex problems, both through extensive and on-the-spot research.
- Interprets policies, procedures, regulations, and rules.
- Makes exceptions to student records during the problem resolution process and follows up with students to ensure problems are resolved.
High school diploma and four years of relevant experience, or an equivalent combination of training and experience. Advanced degree preferred.
Market Range: MR05
Student Services Associate 4
- Interprets situations and determines which guidelines are most effective out of those available.
- Oversees and assigns work to others.
- Develops and implements applicable training.
- Identifies areas for special projects, and creates programs and presentations to meet identified needs.
- Teaches courses.
- Delivers presentations to external and internal audiences.
High school diploma and six years of relevant experience, or an equivalent combination of training and experience. Advanced degree preferred.
Market Range: MR06
Effective Date: January 4, 2021