Teaching and Learning Tutor
Responsible for providing strategies and assistance to students in improving academic achievement and success. Competencies for this role are typically gained through specialized and on-the-job training.
Typical functions are listed within the level descriptors below and are examples of work performed by positions in the level and are not intended to be all inclusive. Some duties may overlap levels; however, the preponderance of the work will be assessed when assigning positions to the specific levels.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (KSAs)
Listed below are the minimum requirements for this role. KSAs will become more advanced as the level increases and will vary depending on the requirements of the position.
- Knowledge of applicable curriculum.
- Organizational skills.
- Ability to teach individuals and small groups.
Teaching and Learning Tutor 1
- Assists students in improving academic achievement by meeting them on a regular basis to clarify learning problems and work on study skills.
- Works with students individually or in small groups to assist them with their studies in academic subjects.
- Coaches, guides and assists students in reviewing course material, solving problems, and preparing for tests and examinations.
Typically requires a high school diploma and two years of relevant experience, or equivalent and college courses in subject matter.
Market Range: MR03
Teaching and Learning Tutor 2
- Assesses student performance and knowledge, identifies areas that need improvement, adapts learning resources to student needs, provides instruction, and helps to problem solve on assignments.
- Maintains records.
- Develops instructional materials to aid students to assist them with their studies.
- Adapts curriculum to better serve the individual’s learning needs.
- Works in a specialty academic area or a special focus of the tutoring profession.
- Assists in supervising student tutors.
Typically requires a high school diploma and three years of relevant experience, or equivalent and college courses in subject matter.
Market Range: MR04
Effective Date: January 4, 2021