Responsible for providing leadership, direction, training, and management for legal functions. Manages budgets, provides expertise and analysis for long-range strategic planning, provides an interpretation of rules and regulations, and is responsible for representing the university and the Board of Trustees in legal matters. Management level roles have the management and development of people as a major accountability and have direct reports. This role accomplishes goals through overseeing their areas of responsibility, planning, managing resources, prioritizing, and directing the responsibilities of employees.
Typical functions are listed within the level descriptors below and are examples of work performed by positions in the level and are not intended to be all-inclusive. Some duties may overlap levels; however, the preponderance of the work will be assessed when assigning positions to the specific levels.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (KSAs)
Listed below are the minimum requirements for this role. KSAs will become more advanced as the level increases and will vary depending on the requirements of the position.
- Knowledge of case law on a variety of legal issues.
- Knowledge of court rules and procedures.
- Analytical skills.
- Persuasive writing and speaking ability.
- Works with state legislature to advocate and protect the interests of the University of Tennessee.
- Serves as the university Officer according to the Board of Trustees bylaws.
- Provides guidance and legal advice to senior leadership.
- Sets the strategic vision for the office and legal matters for the university.
- Responsible for making strategic litigation decisions that may impact all levels of the university.
- Makes recommendations to the General Counsel concerning the settlement of litigated matters.
Typically requires a Juris Doctorate degree from an accredited law school and ten years of litigation experience in state and federal courts, including substantial first chair trial experience in complex cases.
Tennessee license to practice law or eligible for Tennessee license to practice law.
Market Range: MR27
Effective Date: January 4, 2021