Data Analytics Management
Responsible for data analytics leadership, direction, training, and operational management of a department, division, college, institute, campus, or university wide. Provides strategic expertise and guidance on a broad cross-section of data analytics functions. This role accomplishes goals through overseeing the areas of responsibility, planning, managing resources, prioritizing, and directing the responsibilities of employees.
Typical functions listed below are examples of work performed by positions in this role and are not intended to be all-inclusive. Some duties may overlap levels; however, the preponderance of the work will be assessed when assigning positions to specific levels.
- Directs activities of a unit to ensure goals are met, projects are successfully completed, and progress is made toward strategic initiatives.
- Manages and oversees unit operations including staff supervision, development, leadership, and budget.
- Leadership role performing diverse activities requiring analysis and judgment in alignment with broad principles, practices, and professional standards.
- Develops, implements, and measures the progress of long-range and strategic plans.
- Modifies the strategic direction and organizational structure based on technological changes and business needs.
- Participates in the strategic planning process with university officials.
- Collaborates with campus partners on services provided and develops services to meet needs.
- Develops and implements internal policies, procedures, and priorities and proposes modifications to university policies.
- Communicates direction from leadership and articulates impact on staff objectives.
- Ensures compliance with policies and procedures.
Data Analysis Management
- Conducts high-level complex analysis and produces high-level reports.
- Gathers data from multiple sources to synthesize into larger reports.
- Creates executive summaries that incorporate highly technical and complex information.
- Analyzes client needs.
- Defines data parameters and requirements.
- Creates forecasts and projections.
- Reviews and approves data presentations and reports before their release and submits final reports.
- Gathers and writes supporting documentation.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (KSAs)
Listed below are the minimum requirements for this role. KSAs will become more advanced as the level increases and will vary depending on the requirements of the position.
- Knowledge of advanced research methods, statistical techniques, and quantitative methodology.
- Knowledge of leadership, administration, and operations of an institution of higher education.
- Analytical and strategic thinking skills.
- Ability to use statistical software.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships.
- Ability to effectively present and defend research results.
Data Analytics Management 1
- Manages operations and personnel of a functional unit.
- Makes decisions within defined parameters, and decisions require the ability to discern appropriate courses of action based on available options.
- Decisions have a direct impact on the workflow timing and quality of outcomes.
- Schedules and monitors the work of others guided by objectives and expected outcomes with limited directions; consults with a higher level when new or complex problems arise.
- Analyzes and interprets data, identifies areas of concern, recognizes and resolves problems by using policies and procedures.
Typically requires an advanced degree in a relevant field and five years of relevant, progressively responsible experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Applicable certification may be required.
Market Range: MR15
Data Analytics Management 2
- Manages operations and personnel of a unit with broad functional areas.
- Makes strategic recommendations for campus/institution on financial and/or operational matters.
- Makes decisions within broadly defined parameters, and decisions require a high level of judgment.
- Typically reports to senior or executive leadership.
- Responsible for making recommendations for solving complex and far-reaching problems.
- Manages other managers and professional staff.
Typically requires an advanced degree in a relevant field and seven years of relevant, progressively responsible experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. Supervisory experience required.
Applicable certification may be required.
Market Ranges: MR17, MR18
Effective Date: January 4, 2021