Arts and Culture Management
Responsible for the leadership, direction, training, and operational management of a unit focused primarily on arts and culture. Provides strategic expertise and guidance on a broad cross-section of production functions. This role accomplishes goals through overseeing their areas of responsibility, planning, managing resources, prioritizing, and directing the responsibilities of employees.
Typical functions listed below are examples of work performed by positions in this role and are not intended to be all-inclusive. Some duties may overlap levels; however, the preponderance of the work will be assessed when assigning positions to specific levels.
- Manages and oversees unit operations including staff supervision, development, and leadership.
- Directs activities of the unit to ensure goals are met, productions are successfully completed, and progress is made toward strategic initiatives.
- Sets budgets for unit and productions, and ensures activities are within budget.
- Develops, implements, and measures the progress of long-range and strategic plans.
- Develops, implements, and ensures compliance with internal policies, procedures, and priorities.
- Ensures safe practices are followed.
- Schedules work of cast and crew for productions.
- Assesses productions and implements changes to future productions.
- Manages productions, specifically for area of expertise.
- Works with internal and external stakeholders to create and maintain partnerships, and to raise funds.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (KSAs)
Listed below are the minimum requirements for this role. KSAs become more advanced as the level increases and will vary depending on the requirements of the position.
- Knowledge of a technical area.
- Knowledge of safe practices in the production environment.
- Knowledge of leadership, administration, and operations of a theatrical unit.
- Conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse population.
- Ability to utilize specialized equipment, tools, and software.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships, and to effectively collaborate with others.
- Ability to maintain composure during stressful and time-sensitive situations.
Arts and Culture Management 1
- Leadership role that performs diverse activities.
- Accountable for scheduling and monitoring the day-to-day work of others.
- Makes decisions within defined parameters and decisions that require the ability to discern appropriate courses of action based on available options.
- Decisions have direct impact on area of specialty.
- Collaborates with other units to complete projects.
Typically requires a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field and three years of relevant, progressively responsible experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. Master’s degree in a relevant field preferred.
Market Range: MR08
Arts and Culture Management 2
- Participates in the strategic planning process.
- Decisions have an impact on production’s success.
- Ensures units are meeting goals and production schedules.
- Work is guided by objectives and expected outcomes with limited direction; consults with a higher level when new or complex problems arise.
Typically requires a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field and five years of relevant, progressively responsible experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. Master’s degree in a relevant field preferred.
Market Range: MR12
Arts and Culture Management 3
- Makes financial and operational decisions within broadly defined parameters and decisions require a high level of judgment.
- Communicates direction from leadership and articulates impact on staff objectives.
- Responsible for solving time-sensitive problems that have a broad impact on productions.
- Sets strategic direction for unit, and ensures compliance with professional standards, regulations, and policies.
Typically requires a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field and seven years of relevant, progressively responsible experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. Master’s degree in a relevant field preferred.
Market Range: MR14
Effective Date: January 4, 2021