Responsible for providing services that support the academic mission of the university.
Typical functions are listed within the level descriptors below and are examples of work performed by positions in the level and are not intended to be all-inclusive. Some duties may overlap levels; however, the preponderance of the work will be assessed when assigning positions to the specific levels.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (KSAs)
Listed below are the minimum requirements for this role. KSAs will become more advanced as the level increases and will vary depending on the requirements of the position.
- Knowledge of applicable legislation, standards, policies and procedures within specialty area.
- Knowledge and understanding of institutional policies and procedures and the regulatory environment within which they operate.
- Leadership skills.
- Conflict resolution skills.
- Budget preparation and fiscal management skills.
- Ability to plan, assess, and evaluate programs.
- Ability to develop, plan, and implement short- and long-range goals.
Academic Administrator 1
Responsible for providing specialized academic services within a college, and reports to a Dean.
Market Ranges: MR19, MR20, MR21, MR22
Academic Administrator 2
- Responsible for providing academic leadership to a college and reports directly to the Provost.
- Provides oversight and management to the unit and is responsible for hiring department chairs.
- Responsible for educational curriculum, faculty selection, promotion and development, and student affairs.
Market Ranges: MR20, MR21, MR23, MR24, MR25, MR26, MR27, MR28, MR29, MR30, MR34
Academic Administrator 3
Responsible for providing specialized academic services to a specialized functional area.
Market Ranges: MR20, MR21
Academic Administrator 4
Responsible for providing specialized academic services to multiple areas of the institution.
Market Ranges: MR22, MR23
Academic Administrator 5
Responsible for providing specialized academic services to the University of Tennessee system wide.
Market Range: MR27
Academic Administrator 6
- Chief academic officer for an institution.
- Supports the university’s academic mission and provides leadership for the colleges, faculty affairs, enrollment, and student success.
- Responsible for broad strategic vision for academic functions.
Market Ranges: MR25, MR29, MR30
Effective Date: January 4, 2021