Responsible for either planning, maintaining, or completing all phases of research programs and/or projects and related activities involved in the discovery of new knowledge, techniques, materials, and concepts, which require fundamental scientific, research, or engineering knowledge, skills, and abilities achieved by professional preparation. Levels are distinguished based on autonomy, complexity, and proven expertise.
Typical functions listed below are examples of work performed by positions in this role and are not intended to be all-0inclusive. Some duties may overlap levels; however, the preponderance of the work will be assessed when assigning positions to specific levels.
- Develops or assists in the development of complex research proposals, plans, and protocols.
- Designs, conducts, modifies, and sets up experiments, studies, and investigations.
- Conducts experiments, studies, and investigations.
- Collects, records, compiles, processes, analyzes, and interprets data/samples.
- Designs and manages research databases.
- Designs mechanisms to collect data.
- Conducts literature reviews.
- Performs statistical analysis and develops statistical models.
- Documents and interprets results.
- Prepares internal reports and external publications for peer review.
- Delivers presentations on research.
- Evaluates data and outcomes and suggests alternative research methods, and modifies, or develops new procedures and techniques.
- Develops project and grant proposals and assists with securing funding.
- Performs cost analyses and makes budget recommendations.
- Coordinates research logistics such as equipment management; organizing materials, supplies and labor needs.
- Manages labs and ensures safety compliance.
- Develops novel methods for research using computer programming and applications, model building, and database development.
- Provides work direction or supervision to students and other research staff.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (KSAs)
Listed below are the minimum requirements for this role. KSAs will become more advanced as the level increases and will vary depending on the requirements of the position.
- Knowledge in a field of research.
- Knowledge of research or lab equipment, materials, and processes related to lab/facility operations.
- Knowledge of procedures for experimentation, observation, documentation, and data collection.
- Provides professional and lead technical support to research programs and projects.
- Performs a variety of structured research-related work assignments and independently conducts fundamental aspects of a research project as directed, by following established protocol or using methods previously established.
- Actions are guided by schedules, due dates, and clear deliverables.
- Work is performed under structured guidance and is checked for compliance with protocols/plans.
- Makes some independent judgments and decisions such as recommending experiment or design modifications.
Typically requires a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field and three years of relevant experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Market Range: MR08
- Provides professional contributions to research programs and projects requiring specialized knowledge and experience.
- Independently performs components of a research program with general guidance by a senior member of the research team or principal investigator.
- Performs complex research-related work assignments.
- Solves a range of straightforward problems that may include proposing and implementing procedural and design modifications.
- Makes independent judgments and decisions, including theoretical approaches, design of experiments and conclusions.
Typically requires an advanced degree in a relevant field and two years of relevant experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Market Range: MR09
- Provides professional contributions to research programs and requires expertise in the field of study.
- Solves complex and varied problems utilizing a broad disciplinary perspective to identify solutions.
- Independently conducts work complementary to the overall research objectives and contributes to the work of other researchers to complete projects.
- Exercises broad judgment, independence, and expertise in all aspects of the project.
- Contributes to all phases of research, from proposal to publication.
- Performs work independently under limited supervision.
- Takes lead on components of complex projects under the direction of senior researcher/PI.
Typically requires an advanced degree in a relevant field and five years of relevant experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. PhD or equivalent terminal degree may be required.
Market Range: MR11
- Functions as an independent researcher or a collaborator on a multi-faceted research initiative and/or has lead responsibility for components of a larger research program under the general direction of a senior or principal researcher; sometimes functioning as a principal investigator.
- Directs aspects of and/or conducts complex research and is responsible for research project deliverables, analysis of data, conclusions, and publications.
- Spends a portion of time conducting original research.
- Contributes significantly to new avenues of investigation, developing project proposals and generating external funding.
- Develops research plans and solves highly complex methodology, protocol, procedural and research problems through the original design of protocols and procedures which frequently involves researching advanced concepts and developing original solutions in the absence of clear standards.
- Formulates and implements short- and long-range goals.
- Exercises considerable independent judgment.
- Works under general supervision but has discretion to make daily operational and research decisions.
- Problems require integrative solutions and understanding of how resources fit to meet research objectives.
Typically requires a PhD or an equivalent terminal degree in a relevant field and three years of relevant experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. May require a proven record of peer-reviewed publications.
Market Range: MR13
- Responsible for leading highly complex, specialized, or multifaceted research projects often as the principal investigator.
- Conducts original research.
- Responsible for all aspects of research including funding, project budget, compliance, and establishment proposals and protocols.
- Plans and executes complex research studies by defining and leading research strategies.
- Designs, implements, evaluates, and analyzes both independent and collaborative research projects.
- Leads new avenues of investigation, develops projects and leads the submission of proposals to generate external funding.
- Operates independently with minimal guidance and oversight from the supervisor generally confined by the research agenda and priorities of the department, institute, or college.
Typically requires a PhD or equivalent terminal degree in a relevant field and five years of relevant experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. May require substantial research and publication record and scholarly recognition.
Market Range: MR14
Effective Date: January 4, 2021