Responsible for providing senior-level strategic expertise and guidance focused on research. This role is responsible for people and resource management. This role accomplishes goals through overseeing areas of responsibility, planning, managing resources, prioritizing, and directing the responsibilities of employees.
Typical functions listed below are examples of work performed by positions in this role and are not intended to be all-inclusive. Some duties may overlap levels; however, the preponderance of the work will be assessed when assigning positions to specific levels.
- Oversees the planning and execution of research projects.
- Oversees the development of research designs, data collection methods, and strategies for data management.
- Oversees use of human and animal subjects, compliance, grant management, development of reports, and meeting deliverable timetables.
- Synthesizes research into written reports and scientific writing.
- Oversees communications and publications.
- Presents research in scientific, educational, or community outreach settings.
- Supervises staff while providing direction and leadership.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (KSAs)
Listed below are the minimum requirements for this role. KSAs will become more advanced as the level increases and will vary depending on the requirements of the position.
- Knowledge of contracts, grants, and budget principles.
- Knowledge of research design methods to conduct research projects and evaluation studies.
- Knowledge of problem-solving techniques and processes to facilitate the identification and resolution of issues.
- Project management skills.
- Ability to maintain high ethical standards.
- Ability to provide oversight on projects and manage multiple programs.
Research Management 1
- Provides leadership, management, and guidance to a research group that is part of a larger research program, an ongoing research study, or multiple smaller projects that include financial, operational, and personnel aspects of research.
- Leads and directs the work of others.
- Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Decisions have a direct impact on the workflow timing and quality of outcomes.
Typically requires a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field and ten years of relevant, progressively responsible experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. Experience managing significant projects. Supervisory experience.
Market Range: MR13
Research Management 2
- Directs and provides oversight for a major research program/center.
- Develops innovative solutions for difficult, complex, and systematic problems that may have precedent-setting implications for the institution.
- Problems faced are strategic, complex, multifaceted, and often unprecedented.
- Sets the strategic direction of a research program.
- Acts with substantial discretion.
- Identifies and evaluates complementary research interests across institutions and agencies, including future industry trends, government programs, and opportunities with research groups.
Typically requires a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field and twelve years of relevant, progressively responsible experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. Experience managing significant projects. Supervisory experience.
Market Range: MR16
Effective Date: January 4, 2021