External Training Credit
External Training Credit Request Process – April 1, 2021 changes
New, simplified rules for ETC documentation requirements take effect on April 1, 2021. For prompt approval, all submissions should be accompanied by an email (or scanned signed document) from your supervisor approving the awarding of credit and listing the training title, date(s), and number of hours. This attachment will serve as the only documentation needed for approval.
About HR Policy 0128
The University encourages employees and staff to complete a minimum of 32 hours of job and career-related professional development per calendar year. Employees are encouraged to complete what they need to achieve growth for themselves and their departments.
If you take a job- or career-related course, or attend a conference that is not accessed through K@TE, the UT learning management system, you may submit those training hours for approval for inclusion in your training transcript. Approved credits on your K@TE transcript will automatically be added to your IRIS training record within 24 hours.
How to Submit External Training Credit Requests
1. Login to K@TE using your NetID and password: kate.tennessee.edu
2. From the “Learning” tab, click on “Add External Training,” OR – if this first option is not visible for you – select “View Your Transcript” and then click the three-dot menu at the upper right of your transcript page.
3. Complete the ETC form. Enter your Title, Providing Institution, Date(s) of Attendance, and total number of instructional hours.
4. Your supervisor’s approval must be included as an attachment that lists the training title, date(s), and number of hours. This documentation can be in the form of:
a) an attached email from your supervisor approving the training for credit, or
b) an attached document listing the training, with the supervisor’s signature
5. To add an attachment, click the SELECT A FILE button and navigate to your file. Up to 15 attachments can be added to an external training. Attachments can be up to 25 MB in size and are limited to ppt, pptx, doc, docs, pdf, jpg, jpeg, jpe, png, txt, gif, xls, xlsx, and rtf file types. If your attachment is too large, you can take a screenshot instead. Also, any emails you receive can easily be saved as pdf files (Control P to print, then under Printer, choose “Adobe PDF” or “Microsoft Print to PDF.” Click “Print” to save the result). Or email any oversized files to firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. Click “Submit” and the requested professional development activity will appear on your transcript.
6. From your K@TE transcript, you will then need to click “Mark Complete.” When you see the status as “Pending Completion Approval,” this is confirmation that your request has been received.
External Training Credit Requests are reviewed in the order in which they are received. If you have attached proper documentation from your supervisor authorizing your training for HR0128 credit, approval in K@TE should be granted very quickly. When the training is approved, it will appear under the “Completed” section of your transcript, and the status will show as “Completed.” To view your completed transcript, toggle the transcript drop-down menu from “Active” to “Completed.”