Performs seamstress duties required to ensure costumes are provided for University theatrical productions; provides technical guidance and direction to designated personnel.
- Assists costume designer in the design and fitting of costumes; recommends use of material, method of construction and time necessary to construct costumes; performs duties such as patterning, cutting, sewing, painting, distressing, and pressing.
- Performs special costuming duties to include wig dressing, hat making, corsetry, leather crafting, shoe making, dyeing, jewelry making, fiberglass and celastic construction.
- Provides technical guidance and direction to student learners in constructing sewing, maintaining costumes and in applying theatrical makeup.
- Plans and schedules work of designated personnel; ensures adequate staffing and proper distribution of work assignments.
- Maintains inventory of costumes, related accessories, and shop supplies; ensures cleaning and mending of costumes; ensures maintenance on sewing machines and other equipment.
- Maintains and monitors costume portion of show budgets; performs bookkeeping duties related to costume shop budget.
- Provides technical guidance to wardrobe “running crews.”
- Performs other related duties as required.
High school degree and four years experience or completion of trade school or apprenticeship plus two years experience. Experience may substitute for education on a year-for-year basis.
Skilled Craft (non-supervisory)