Communications Specialist II
Performs advanced communication tasks including one or more of the following activities: writing, editing, proof-reading, graphic design, lay-out and written and electronic materials presentation development. May provide guidance to designated personnel.
- Works with the public relations program designed to create and maintain favorable public image for the university or a department.
- Plans and directs development and communication of information designed to keep public informed of university’s programs, accomplishments, or point of view. Arranges for public relations efforts in order to meet needs, objectives, and policies of university.
- Prepares and distributes fact sheets, news releases, photographs, scripts, motion pictures, or tape recordings to media representatives and other persons who may be interested in learning about university’s activities or message.
- Purchases advertising space and time as required. Arranges for and conducts public-contact programs designed to meet university’s objectives, utilizing knowledge of changing attitudes and opinions of consumers, clients, employees, or other interest groups.
- Promotes university through such publicity efforts as speeches, exhibits, films, tours, and question/answer sessions.
- Represents university during community projects and at public, social, and business gatherings.
- May research data, create ideas, write copy, lay out artwork, contact media representatives, or represent employer directly before general public.
- May develop special projects.
- May direct activities of subordinates.
- May confer with production and support personnel to coordinate production of television advertisements and on-air promotions.
- Performs other related duties as required.
High school degree and five years experience in field or completion of specialized training plus two years experience. Experience may substitute for education on a year-for-year basis. Must be able to follow written and oral instructions.