Print Specialist I
Performs technical functions and complex print shop assignments involved in the layout, transformation, stripping and mounting of negatives and plates, and production of graphic arts materials.
- Reviews routine layout work and ensures correctness. Performs layout work involving cutting out windows, inserting overtones/screens and special wording. Examines negatives using line-up table to detect alignment errors for multicolor assignments.
- Performs complex stripping assignments. Strips masking sheets according to size and/or shape of image to be printed. Opaques blemishes and errors on negative. Strips developed negatives from photographic plates and mounts negatives.
- Processes black and white and color films; prints black and white and color reversal materials. Photographs camera-ready material with photo-direct camera plate maker. Maintains and operates processing and printing equipment in a photographic area.
- Sets up and operates light presses to produce simple lines, texts, and drawings in single color and multicolor. Adjusts controls to regulate flow of ink and paper.
- Performs maintenance on small print shop equipment.
- Orders chemicals and supplies as needed.
- May make work assignments and review the work of designated personnel; assists in the training of designated personnel; advises supervisor regarding specific personnel actions.
- Performs other related duties as required.
High school degree and three years experience in field or completion of trade school or apprenticeship plus one year experience. Experience may substitute for education on a year-for-year basis.
Skilled Craft (non-supervisory)