Police Specialist II
Under general supervision patrols assigned area to enforce laws and university policies, regulate traffic, control crowds, prevent crime, and arrest violators.
- Patrols assigned areas on foot or in a police car to detect crime and arrest violators.
- Regulates pedestrian and vehicular traffic.
- Apprehends, arrests, and files charges on suspects when required.
- Prepares and presents testimony in court concerning traffic violations, burglaries and other offenses.
- Provides security for special university events when needed.
- Investigates traffic accidents and files preliminary accident reports.
- Provides informal and formal guidance and direction to subordinate police officers.
- Assists or presents training programs for law enforcement and community service officers as requested.
- Assists in Community Relations Unit programs as assigned.
- Functions as the initial on-scene incident commander in various situations until relieved by a supervisor.
- Coordinates with supervisors and trainers to identify training needs; develops and presents “roll call” training.
- Works in accordance with department rules and regulations in both plain clothes and in uniform.
- Assists supervisors in ensuring that departmental equipment, including vehicle, are maintained and in good working order.
- Performs other related duties as required.
High school degree and one year of experience in law enforcement. Must be in “good standing” within the department. Possess current and verifiable certification as a Police Officer in Tennessee and has successfully completed the field training program.