Functions or assists shift supervisor in the coordination of assigned shift. Performs a variety of police duties in enforcing laws. Maintains radio contact with other officers; issues instructions via two-way radio. Provides work direction to designated personnel.
- Assists shift supervisor or acts as shift supervisor in coordination of an assigned shift and performs a variety of police duties in patrolling assigned areas on foot or in police car to detect crime and arrest violators; patrols parking lots, outlying properties and buildings to ensure their security.
- Regulates pedestrian and vehicular traffic; investigates traffic accidents and files preliminary accident reports; checks automobiles for University registration decal; issues tickets for vehicular violations.
- Prepares and presents testimony in court concerning traffic violations, burglaries, and other offenses.
- Provides information about The University of Tennessee to students, staff, and the general public.
- Provides security for special University events.
- Reviews work of designated employees; assists and instructs designated officers in investigations and other unusual situations; assists in the training of patrolmen.
- Advises supervisor regarding specific personnel actions as needed; prepares detailed reports of all unusual incidents that occur during assigned shift.
- May issue instructions to field officers by operating a two-way radio, receiving and transmitting radio and telephone messages to designated personnel in accordance with Federal Communications Commission regulations; may maintain daily log of all incoming and outgoing radio messages.
- May perform special assignments such as transporting funds, crime prevention coordination, securing supplies and equipment, parking violation ticket-writing supervision, and assisting the Training Officer.
- Performs other related duties as required.
High school degree or equivalent. Must be able to certify as officer and qualify with firearm, plus three years of experience in law enforcement.