Plans, implements, and directs administrative, educational, and technical activities of a large unit to include budget, personnel, strategic planning, and staffing. This large unit may consist of one or more related or unrelated areas. The director usually reports to a member of the senior staff.
- Develops goals and objectives for the department based on policy and goals; plans to achieve goals or establish priorities.
- Analyzes long-range impact of decisions and plans.
- Ensures the most effective operations of the department through program development, process improvement, and coordination/integration of processes with other departments.
- Plans, coordinates, and controls the work and procedures; provides advice/consultation to staff regarding problems.
- Participates on departmental and/or interdepartmental committees to address problems and facilitate information exchange about programs, problems, etc. Provides information to others to explain/clarify problems, issues or requests.
- Participates in management meetings to keep top management informed of problems and concerns.
- Prepares an annual operating budget for a unit or department, including direct
- labor, material and supplies, services, equipment maintenance and
- Presents and justifies a proposed budget (operating and capital expenditure) to a
- management review committee.
- Prepares justification or develops alternatives for cost containment/reduction.
- Establishes service standards for the department and determines if service standards are compatible with financial targets.
- Defines the qualifications and performance expectations for all staff positions.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Bachelor’s degree and seven-eight years of experience.
Executive & Managerial