Deputy General Counsel
Assists the general counsel; assigns cases to staff.
- Provides legal advice to departments on a wide range of legal issues.
- Researches legal issues and statutory and case law; drafts and reviews opinions, resolutions, contracts, leases, deeds and other legal documents and instruments.
- Represents the University in civil litigation and administrative hearings held by local, state, and federal agencies; performs all phases of pretrial, trial and appellate work.
- Advises department directors, managers, supervisors, and employees on their role in litigation, their responses to the public and media regarding legal issues and litigation, and preparation for testimony in court and in administrative hearings.
- Participates in training and provides lead work direction to other legal staff.
- Reviews agenda items and contracts as to form and legality.
- Monitors and prepares comments on proposed federal and state legislation and regulation.
- Provides advice on revisions to legislation and regulation.
- Recommends changes to policies and practices to comply with new legal requirements.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Certificate of admission to the Bar of the State of Tennessee and eligibility to practice law before the courts of the State of Tennessee with ten years of experience.
Executive & Managerial